Express Tax Relief - Debt Reduction Negotiation - Tax Debt Assistance

Capital Gains Tax Personal Residence

Personal Residence Tax Exemption: IRS tax exemption regarding living in your personal residence for 24 months of last 5 years. You may take up to $500,000 in profits tax free deduction on the sale of your home if you're married or $250,000 in profits if you're.

Capital gains tax rates are determined by the type of investment asset and how long of a holding term the asset was held.

Topic 409 - Capital Gains and Losses

Almost everything you own and use for personal or investment purposes is a capital asset. Examples are your home, household furnishings, and stocks or bonds held in your personal account. When you sell a capital asset, the difference between the amount you sell it for and your basis, which is usually what you paid for it, is a capital gain or a capital loss.

If you received the asset as a gift or inheritance, refer to Topic 703 for information about your basis. You have a capital gain if you sell the asset for more than your basis. You have a capital loss if you sell the asset for less than your basis. Losses from the sale of personal–use property, such as your home or car, are not deductible.

Capital gains and losses are classified as long–term or short–term. If you hold the asset for more than one year before you dispose of it, your capital gain or loss is long-term. If you hold it one year or less, your capital gain or loss is short-term.

Capital gains and deductible capital losses are reported on Form 1040, Schedule D (PDF). If you have a net capital gain, that gain may be taxed at a lower tax rate than the ordinary income tax rates.

The term "net capital gain" means the amount by which your net long–term capital gain for the year is more than your net short–term capital loss. Currently net capital gain is generally taxed at rates no higher than 15%, although, for 2009 through 2010, some or all net capital gain may be taxed at 0%, if it would otherwise be taxed at lower rates. There are three exceptions:

  1. The taxable part of a gain from selling Section 1202 qualified small business stock is taxed at a maximum 28% rate
  2. Net capital gain from selling collectibles (such as coins or art) is taxed at a maximum 28% rate.
  3. The part of any net capital gain from selling Section 1250 real property that is required to be recaptured in excess of straight-line depreciation is taxed at a maximum 25% rate.

If you have a taxable capital gain, you may be required to make estimated tax payments. Refer to Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax, for additional information.

If your capital losses exceed your capital gains, the amount of the excess loss that can be claimed is the lesser of $3,000, ($1,500 if you are married filing separately) or your total net loss as shown on line 16 of the 1040 Schedule D, Capital Gains and Loses.

If your net capital loss is more than this limit, you can carry the loss forward to later years. Use the Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet in Publication 550, to figure the amount carried forward.